Yellow How to

How To Convert An Overseas Driving License

Posted By admin On January 27, 2010 @ 10:34 am In Automotive & Marine | Comments Disabled

Although you are permitted to drive in New Zealand if you hold a valid driver’s license from another country, you will need to convert this license to a New Zealand one if you are staying here for 12 months or more. Here’s how you do it.

Where to go

You will need to apply in person at a New Zealand Transport driver licensing agent to get your current license converted. These agents are selected VTNZ and VINZ stations and most AA offices. Look these up online to see where your nearest or most convenient agent is.

When you get to your nearest or most convenient agent, find the relevant application for that you will need to complete.

What You’ll Need

You will need to present your current overseas driving license in order for you to be issued with a valid New Zealand license. You will also need to bring along another form of ID, a passport is preferable, and evidence of address. The evidence of address can be in the form of a bank statement or a utility bill, both no more than 12 months old.

You may also have to present a current medical certificate if required and pass an eyesight screening check.


Once you have filled out the relevant forms you need to pay a fee to get your new license. This varies between $70 and $120 depending on what license you need to get (learner, restricted or full).

After all the forms have been checked and your fee paid, you will then get your photograph taken and your new license will be sent to you by post.

Article printed from Yellow How To:

URL to article:

Copyright © 2016 Yellow™ How To. All rights reserved.