Chinese New Year begins on February 14th and we’re ringing in the Year of the Tiger by pigging out on some fortune cookies. Here’s how we made ours!
2 large egg whites
½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon of pure almond extract
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
8 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons of cornstarch
¼ teaspoon of salt
8 tablespoons of granulated sugar
3 teaspoons of water
Ok, so they wouldn’t be fortune cookies without the fortune now would they. So firstly, get strips of paper (about ½ inch wide and 3 ½ inches long) and write some fortunes on them. Now unless you’re actually a fortune teller, a psychic or have a crystal ball handy you’re not going to actually be able to predict the future, so let loose and have some fun with these – what you write is up to you!
Next you’ll need to pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees Celsius and grease two baking sheets.
Step By Step
1. Add your egg whites, vanilla extract, almond extract and vegetable oil to a bowl and beat until frothy.
2. Get a separate bowl and sift the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar. Then stir 3 teaspoons of water into the flour mixture.
3. Add the contents of that bowl to the bowl with the egg whites and stir until it forms a smooth batter. (the batter should not be runny but it should easily fall off the wooden spoon)
4. Spoon even amounts of the batter onto the two baking sheets (making sure to leave about 3 inches space between each spoonful.) Then tilt the sheet back and forth, up and down until the batter has formed little circles.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes or until ½ an inch of each fortune cookie has turned golden brown.
6. Here’s where it gets tricky… Working fast, remove each cookie from the sheet, flip over in your hand and place a fortune in each one.
7. To get the correct shape for your cookie, fold it in half then gently pull the edges downward.
**Tip** Use the edge of a glass or a muffin tin and pull the edges down over that to perfect the shape.
And that’s it – Confucius says you’re done!
All that’s left to do is sit back, enjoy and see what the Year of the Tiger holds for you!How To Make Fortune Cookies,