Scones are such a versatile and tasty snack that can be whipped up quickly for an afternoon tea with friends, with very few ingredients. Despite this, the perfect scone can be quite the skill to master.
For years I’ve experimented with many recipes and have often failed at making anything edible. That is, until my grandmother gave me the recipe below. It is so simple and fool proof that it will make any regular Joe look like Martha Stewart in the kitchen!
The recipe below is for makes approximately 12 plain scones, however you can add whatever you like into the mixture if you prefer something a bit different
If you are after scone that has that little something special, why not try adding these delicious ingredients to your dough :
- Or Cheese if you would like a savoury option.
- 4 cups self raising flour
- 300mls cream
- 300mls lemonade
- Preheat the oven to 200C .
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix the ingredients with your clean hands, or use a wooden spoon.
- Knead the mixture onto a floured board (don’t knead too much).
- Cut the dough into squares, or use a cookie cutter for even sizing.
- Put the scones onto a baking tray & bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes.
I like to serve these scones while still warm with a little whipped cream and strawberry jam. Simply delicious. Enjoy!
How do you eat YOUR scones?